Mar 6, 2013

An Impossible Dream? I hope not...


If I could achieve but one of my Impossible Dreams
(and there are many, 
although I have lived more Possible Dreams in my lifetime 
than I should have ever believed possible),
it would be to open a most fabulous store,
glamorous of course,
which only stocked products of ethical origin,
where nary an animal was harmed in the procurement of production.
Oh, but you say, there are already stores of ethical morals!
Why yes, but none which are utterly, utterly glamorous,
the kind of boutique or department store where it is full of Possible and Impossible Dreams...


This captivatingly charming boutique would be a world of beauty,
one of feminine charms and masculine elegance,
with friendly staff who know their product, know its origins,
and love to chat with wit, grace and intelligence.
They would neither be disdainful nor bored,
but would imbue every purchase with a smile and story.



And we, the shoppers who would enter this paradigm of loveliness,
would not have to scrutinise every label, 
every packet, 
to check that each product was not tested on animals,
did not contain toxins, 
was not produced by dubious means or standards, and so on,
because we would be secure in the knowledge that this store stood by every word of its policy,
and thoroughly exhausted every check and every balance to make sure its products truly were ethical.
(Because it is a slow process to constantly remain up to date with changing labels,
and as we believe ourselves to be time-poor in this generation,
it seems an absolute luxury to me if we didn't have to check with every single purchase.)


And what would be sold in this elegant store?
Why, all the elements of glamour would be stocked there,
respendently arranged in artful order.
Clothes sewn in fair conditions, handbags and heels of utter sophistication yet made from faux leather,
cosmetics & skincare which are locally made and cruelty free,
with beautiful packaging and brilliant results...



Because this isn't a store which is gritty or in-your-face political.
No activists here. No smug moral high ground. 
This is a place of beauty and elegance,
where change can and does happen,
and people become aware through engagement, not through antagonism. 


This fabulous store could be anywhere in the world,
it may be in London, or New York, or Melbourne or Paris,
it may be in Toronto or Copenhagen.
It would extend its charm and reach through an online presence,
but every shopper would dream the possible dream of entering this glamorous store,
to breathe in the scent of change, though elegant perfume misted in the air,
and they would leave with an exquisitely tied and packaged parcel,
a little reminder of how Impossible Dreams of the poor, the disadvantaged and the animal kingdom
may one day become Possible Dreams.

*

This post is my first as part of the brilliantly engaging By Invitation Only series,
initiated and run by the inimitable Marsha from Splenderosa.
To see the amazing variety of interpretations of "my impossible dream",
which is this month's topic,
do click here.

images :: entry foyer // boutique // face from an old collection of images in my library, source unknown //  illustrations // blue dress // sugar wings // boutique // stella mccartney shoes & handbag // cosmetics // rainbow heels // black & white image // red heels // amethyst door knob // mor cosmetics // illustration 




19 comments:

  1. I like the sound of your store - please let me know when it opens, I'll be lining up at the door! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heidi,
      you're a poet
      but don't know it!

      x

      Delete
  2. What an amazing success you would have as no one with a conscience could fail to shop there.
    For your 1st post as one of our valued & esteemed membership you have done quite a splendid post. Thank you for taking the time to think this through and create something of value which is done with style and wit.
    I salute you! Welcome aboard, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh hooray!!! Welcome dear Virginia!!! I KNEW you would do somethiing fabulous and from the heart--that is you my friend. And if you ever decide to open this beauty perhaps I will have to pack my bags to become a shop assistant again? I was very good at it, I wouldn't let you down! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it would be a rather long trip home each day, but it would be so fabulous to have you on board! x

      Delete
  4. Mel@Georgica Pond6/3/13 8:28 PM

    What a wonderful dream. Why should glamour and ethics be mutually exclusive concepts ? I love your impossible dream and would love to visit a place where these two ideals can live side by side. PS thank you for your lovely comment today, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - we all have ups and downs. But it's nice when the downs aren't so lonely. x

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful dream Virginia and a great first post for our BIO series. It's lovely to welcome a new participant. I look forward to my invitation to the opening when you fulfill this beautiful dream !!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post warmed the cockles of my heart:) I delight in dreaming the impossible dreams...thank you for your gorgeous prose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wonderful, shops like that are thin on the ground these days, I'll come be a shop assistant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I already proposed that! Take a number, Tabs! Or we could be the killer duo and not a soul would leave empty-handed...

      Delete
    2. Oh wow! With a formidable sales team of you two on board, it'd be a runaway success. x

      Delete
  8. Oh and this is such a beautifully illustrated post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful vision! In your store, I'd finally become a shopper (although, would it be ethical to spend, when I already have so much and so many have too little?)... Leslie in Portland, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a good point Leslie - but then you would only be buying things that you otherwise would have purchased elsewhere, which are not ethical. x

      Delete
  10. A lovely dream, one that is, I think, slowly creeping, bit by bit, into the retail world. Would you also be stocking repurposed? I love being surrounded by objects with a history...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely - that would very much be in keeping with the philosophy. And I so agree with you - I love the stories and provenance of old things. x

      Delete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...