Feb 19, 2013

If you love Art Deco, do you love this?


With sweeping curves,
both from adept bricklayers + master plasterers,
the Waterfall style is a rather charming sub-style of Art Deco.
And this house, in Melbourne's very leafy Mont Albert,
and sold just recently,
is a fabulous example of the bold, elegant style. 


The house was built in the 1940s,
and you can see some of the Moderne style creeping in,
with a concrete fascia at mid and top level.
Waterfall Art Deco houses often have curved glass,
but this one has used more easily obtainable faceted windows instead.



And who wouldn't fancy the romantic notion of a turret?
Has always appealed to me,
although I don't really know why - as towers aren't terribly practical,
especially with our fast-paced style of modern living,
where every minute walking up and down the stairs would almost be tallied.
(Good for the legs, though...)

But just the same, I imagine it would be a fun thing to have,
especially at the very top, as a delicious spot to curl up with a good book.


It's a really interesting mixture of styles and textures, 
and rare that the beautiful masonry brickwork has not been rendered in the stairwell,
as was often the case in the Waterfall Deco style.


Curved walls are so incredibly fabulous at creating an other-worldly atmosphere.
Sadly, they are so expensive to build that they rarely make it past planning stage 
in most people's dreams. 


Can definitely imagine some rather swish cocktail parties in this house! 
Do you like it?

9 comments:

  1. I love all this inspiration. & all the touches of Art Deco. The Bedroom and HeadBoard is My Favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful house, they don't make them like that anymore! xT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, yes. Love the cornices and the brickwork around the fireplace. I'd be changing the light fittings though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Erica, on both points.

      Delete
  4. I don't know why but it is not my cup of tea...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly because of the way the house has been styled and furnished, I suspect?

      Delete
  5. The interior is lovely but I'd have to clad the exterior in white plaster. I'm so demanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ouch! You princess you!

      Interesting you should say that though, in all seriousness, because it would utterly change the whole building so very dramatically. And be more in keeping with the usual finishes for Art Deco. More elegant too - in a refined way. But I also adore the masonry, because you can see how the structure was built, and it is so very unusual to have a non-rendered finish in a building of this style.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love Art Deco and I love this house, gorgeous! I'm glad I can comment from my iPad now. Always inspirational Virginia. Claudia x

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...