Nov 28, 2012

Elements of Glamour :: Stylish Dressing : The Cufflink



Now I don't know your thoughts on the matter,
but to me there is only one choice in cuffs for men's shirts as far as glamour is concerned.
French cuffs or forget it. Clasped with a stylish cufflink.
None of these button arrangements. 
Nope, it has to be the real deal. 
And these boys illustrate exactly why the French cuff, 
with an elegant cufflink, adds so much style to a beautifully cut suit.




My own handsome husband is helplessly addicted to cufflinks,
and has amassed a collection of over 70.
Mostly from antique stores, country fetes and charity shops.
As long as they are beautifully made, they catch his eye.
I love to see which pair he will select each morning.

And my 19 year old uni student son seems to have inherited the same love of cufflinks,
because he insists on wearing French cuffed shirts for speaking engagements and formal wear.
It looks SO much nicer than a buttoned cuff.


The choice of a French cuff with interesting and elegant cufflinks
can reveal so much about a man's personality.
With so little variation in suits, it's a tiny detail which punches above its weight in the style stakes.
So that's my thoughts on the matter.
Now over to you.

images ::  cufflinks // the inspiration : 1/2/3 // the now : tom ford 2013 //
the history : 1/2 // the how : top row/ all others

6 comments:

  1. I'm such a fan - love cufflinks - so handsome and sophisticated. Thanks for the great history lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree - my husband likes a French Cuff, but he'll only wear the cufflinks that I gave him on our wedding day. They're simple little sterling silver knots. There's so little to distinguish yourself as a man in a suit, the details become much more important. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't bear cufflinks, give me a solid starightforward Presbyterian button any day. I don't think I could even bring myself to date a man who wore cufflinks, it would be a divide that could never be breached.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabitha I am shocked! You are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jewel Yet to Find29/11/12 1:35 AM

    Marvelous post about completely forgotten thing.
    How nice that your son picked up the tradition and pull it off with the panache of Tom Ford no less.
    Stylish, very aristocratic , says-a-lot detail.
    But I'm more focused on a neck tie, which is also needed on a very rear occasion in our daily life.
    Even corporate world regretfully but slowly stir away from it.
    Virginia, could you please post about neck/bow ties? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, ok, will do a post on neck ties - it fits perfectly in the series as it truly is an element of stylish dressing. Well, it CAN be, if the ties are stylish. Stay tuned! xx

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...