Aug 31, 2012

Would you Like to Live Here? :: vertical lines outside / horizontal inside...


Richly-red ironbark over-scaled posts express a very vertical line
at this newly built house at the bayside suburb of Elwood in Melbourne.
Designed by architect Nicholas Wright, 
the verticality injects a dramatic sense of movement to the exterior.



But pop inside, and the timber is now horizontal,
forming a more restful line.


And in those magical spaces in between,
which are neither inside nor outside,
but views of both, 
the lines of verticality + horizontality have been manipulated
to create a delicately balanced tension between the two.

Clever things, these lines, aren't they?

Would you like to live here?

property location :: 20 docker st elwood melbourne
images & agents :: details

7 comments:

  1. Oh yeah I could live there for maybe a year or so,
    looks wonderful really but not really my style so I can't say I can live there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Virginia:
    We find the exterior of this very contemporary house to be most exciting. It is so reassuring to see good examples of modern architecture using quality materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the timber and the outer wall finish at the front looks interesting. It's probably not quite my thing even though I like some elements x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one cool house! And I am always a sucker for the tumble into the lap pool option. :) The views from the interiors remind me a bit of Dar Sabra, a resort in Marrakech that we photographed. Very graphic yet soothing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSSSSSSSSS.......VERY NICE! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the timber walls - and the pool. I could live there if I left my boys elsewhere - they would have that pristine space trashed with junk in minutes! and that would be a big shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a brilliant home, and i love that monolithic timber front fence! have a great weekend darl xx

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...