Aug 20, 2012

A Wistaria-covered White Cottage with Warmth and Style...


Have always loved bagged brick,
(as distinct from the heavier rendered finish),
whereupon the charming outlines of the masonry underneath
can still be discerned.
And this delightful cottage at South Yarra,
freshly on the market for early spring,
is a wonderful example of just how rustically elegant it can be.
Of course, having wistaria clambering on the verandah posts
is always going to make it especially gorgeous,
to my way of thinking,
but this cottage continues the charm on the interior as well.
Come inside and see...



The black kitchen works well here
because there is plenty of natural light.
And the black courtyard wall gently and subtly completes 
the eye's journey around the scene.
A bit like a beginning + an end,
with the paler colours of American Oak floorboards,
white walls and sandstone paving as the "middle" of the story.



It's a simple cottage, unpretentious and quietly elegant,
yet with warmth and character,
renovated to celebrate its provenance,
without slavishly living in the past.

All up, it's rather charming,
and can you imagine just how magical that front verandah 
will be in late spring, when the wistaria erupts in buzzing-bee filled flowers?
(I wonder if it is white or purple - but either would work with this 
colour scheme.)

Would you like to live here?

property location :: 53 murphy st south yarra melbourne

11 comments:

  1. The steps with the grass between each one tread are delighting me no end.
    I love the wisteria too, but the whole cottage is a bit too boxy for me, the back patio makes me feel claustrophobic and the grey shades inside make me think of a prison - I love these they are an insight into our souls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Virginia:
    The exterior is, we think, absolutely charming and very appealing and we understand exactly what you mean about the brickwork.

    Off to Venice this week so we shall be away from the Blogosphere for a while. But for now we do hope that all is well with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house we built in Perth was bag rendered. We loved it.
    Is that a crossword puzzle above the fireplace? Interesting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I certainly love the outside. I am with Tabs about the darkness though.

    And ps. I want to be adopted by the Hattats. Do you think that they will go for it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! The oversized crossword puzzle (I love doing crossword puzzles!) and the carousel horse are spectacular. I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the giant dining table - FAB.
    Happy day to you sweet Virginia,
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. The exterior is just so pretty. Imagine coming home to that! It's amazing what good planting can add to the feel of a home.
    I hope you're husband's getting better Virginia and that you're all feeling better. Annie x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW! The inside is even more stunning than the outside! I love the kitchen. Yes, I would die to live there!! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog, always something that I love in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Virginia

    I just found your blog, through Heather, Lost in Arles and the Hattatt's. I have been missing out on your beautiful posts but as your new follower I will look forward to knowing your blog
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Virginia!
    This cottage is absolutely beautiful, cozy and inviting.
    The first pic is gorgeous.
    Hope your husband is totally recovered.
    Have a nice Wednesday!
    Tereza

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...