Jul 6, 2012

Elements of Glamour :: Surprise and Friendship


What sort of a title is that?
How can surprise and friendship be elements of glamour?
Well I have a parcel with French stamps on it to prove my theory...


Regular readers of Glamour Drops 
will know of my penchant 
for gloves. 
New ones, old ones; made for the opera or made for a walk.
I love them all.
And wear them on a regular basis. 

Through the extra wonderful world of blogging,
 Heather, from Lost in Arles, and I have become good friends.
We share similar views, despite living in very different worlds.
She is a travel writer in France. I am a designer in Australia.
We both adore gloves. 


So what should arrive in my post box but a mysterious parcel,
with French stamps all over it. 
What on earth? I wondered as I tore it open.
And inside, were these glorious vintage gloves,
from her own treasured collection,
with a gorgeous note from Heather.

Just in time for the winter chills, the gloves have been on several outings,
out and about in the city for dinner, 
on site visits to my projects 
and while walking in the botanical gardens.

And every time I put them on,
smiling at the thought of Heather sending them, 
I am reminded of what true glamour is: 
"alluring or exciting beauty or charm".
Because to my way of thinking,
 that is also what the surprise of an unexpected friendship is all about.
It's the thrill of finding somebody with whom you just "click",
and the richness of sharing life's beauties and charms.
And, just like being dealt a lucky hand of cards,
it's all in the luck of the draw whether we find these friendships or not.

If you haven't come across Heather's blog before,
do check it out. 
She is an American who sees France from a worldly view,
as only one who has travelled widely perhaps can,
and her beautiful, thoughtful nature shines through 
in every sentence and photograph.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift, they really are something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story! I'm off to check out Heather's blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you sneaky diablesse! Without giving me the slightest warning, now who exactly has received a surprise now? It goes without saying that I am so delighted but also very moved by this and what you have written. To have such good connections at this age, well, I don't take it for granted (nor do you I believe) especially when living in such a conservative culture as I do here in Arles.

    And how wonderful that you are enjoying your gloves, that they are keeping you warm! Let's hope they keep being your "lucky gloves".

    Very much looking forward to meeting you in person--hopefully next year! Until then, hooray for the internet for introducing us.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend, You positively made my day,

    Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sweet!!
    how cool is that???!!

    enjoy them!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderfully written Virginia, and what a wonderful gift the friendship IS and brings. The real friendship, the one from the bottom of the heart, is such a miracle, a priceless gift to cherish. And sharing brings happiness, the surprise make you fly... miles are merely an obstacle.
    Bravo Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gift and beautiful gesture of friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adore Heather and this wondeful gift she has passed your way! I can see why you are kindred spirits from this post. I look forward to reading more. :)
    From another wandering expatriate...who is a new follower.
    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh Virginia, this is what blogging is all about isn't it? I, too, think Heather is an amazing woman. I know you will treasure those gloves forever. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...