Jul 1, 2012

Baking :: Chocolate Hazelnut Petite Four


I love the quieter, more leisurely pace of the weekend.
When there's time to curl up in front of the fire,
with friends and good coffee.
I made these little biscuits, 
using the freshly harvested hazelnuts now available in the shops,
(which are sensational this season),
to have on hand for the weekend, for the visitors who always drop in.


 They remind me of the petite four morsels
served at our dinner parties years ago,
and I had quite forgotten all about them.
I just happened to have some leftover eggwhites in the fridge
(having made a passionfruit-iced vanilla slice by Henrietta's request,
which uses egg yolks for the custard filling),
so this was an easy way to use up the egg whites.
If you love the flavour of hazelnuts mixed with chocolate
(umm, doesn't everybody love this combination?)
and slightly chewy, nutty biscuits, then you will hopefully like these little gems. 
Macaron-like in texture, they are very quick to make. 


Chocolate Hazelnut Petite Four
200 gm hazelnuts, with skins
50 gm best quality cocoa
1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup castor sugar
3 egg whites
1 whole egg

Grind hazelnuts, cocoa, flour & sugar in a food processor, 
leaving the nuts as chunky as you prefer.
(I love them left in nutty pieces, but it works just as well if finely ground.)

Add egg whites & whole egg, processing until well mixed.
Drop small spoonfuls onto a buttered tray.
Bake in a moderate oven (170 degrees C) for about 15 mins,
or until just set. 


images :: blue fruit

7 comments:

  1. Oh they look delicious, I rarely use hazelnuts which is indeed an oversight.
    I've been ups ince 5.30am and have a round of double chocolate muffins in the oven right now. Oh I am lusting over the gold tea set, where did you get it? Breakfast is the one meal that's always a bit indulgent for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up so early!! That's funny, I made chocolate and pecan muffins for breakfast this morning. There goes our co-incidence thing again Tabitha! It's quite bizarre.

      The gold tea set came from a vintage store - the sugar bowl and creamer are Westminster, made in Australia in the 1950s, and the gold cup and saucer is from Japan. (I collect any gold coffee sets - to my friends' endless amusement. They get to choose which cup for their espresso.)

      Delete
    2. Dropping in on your conversation with Tabs uninvited to wonder how on earth she can eat double chocolate muffins and retain that figure of hers? If I just sniff at muffins, I gain weight!

      That said, chocolate and hazelnuts is my very favorite sugary combo in the world so I might just have to try this!

      Delete
    3. I wondered that too!!! But you are very slim as well - so the sniffing muffins is obviously not doing you any harm. If you love hazelnuts, you will adore this! It is basically all hazelnut, with just enough of everything else to hold it together.

      Delete
  2. A dangerous read first thing in my morning!! Delicious... xv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm - what a good idea - I could happily eat these for breakfast with a strong latte!

      Delete
  3. I'll keep a lookout for gold coffee cups on my travels for you! The biccies sound yummy, I Iove nutty things x

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...