May 25, 2012

Betting with Chocolate Frogs :: a most unusual prize...


18 years ago today,
I was very, very pregnant.
So much so,
being 10 days over my due date,
that my husband
insisted on attending all my client & site meetings.
Just in case he needed to rush me to the hospital at any moment.
And of course, in the middle of a client meeting,
the first pangs of labour began. 
I signalled to him,
he understood.
I wrapped up the meeting,
walked out the door and said "quick, drive fast."

But I was in no hurry to have this baby.
Because, you see, we had made a bet with each other 
as to guessing the correct birth date of our daughter.

And the prize was a dozen Haigh's chocolate frogs,
a very covetable treat,
and truly my favourite chocolate.

My husband guessed May 25, I chose May 26.
And at 11pm,
the midwife declared my husband would be winning the bet.
"What?" said the doctor,
and on explaining the betting system, 
he too thought I would be going shopping.

But my daughter had other ideas.
(Little did I know this was probably because she would later
have a predilection for the finest chocolate herself.)
She decided to slow things down a little.
The medical staff were on edge: who would win the chocolate frog prize?

And at 15 minutes past midnight,
Henrietta decided that it would be her mother
who would prevail,
and she duly arrived in the world.

True to his word, my husband honoured the bet,
and gave me a dozen Haigh's frogs, to be shared with the medical team.
And mentioned it in the birth notice in the newspaper the next day.
Somebody at the boutique chocolate company must have
been reading the paper that day,
for what should then arrive but a box of their finest truffles,
with a hand written note expressing congratulations
and delight at the story.

(Now, if you are not from Australia, 
you will possibly not know just how loved these famous creatures,
first made in 1945, are.
And if you are from Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide and have
never tried these frogs, oh my, you just better do so.)

  This story is part of our family folklore,
and few celebrations are not marked without their delicious treats.

So, tonight, after our family dinner to mark her ascent into adulthood
at the tender age of 18,
and when the clock strikes midnight,
Henrietta shall be presented with a box of Haigh's frogs.
(My husband has been duly dispatched,
in the rain,
to fetch the box as one of their shops is alarmingly close to his office.)

Because this is one story that is too good not to keep hopping on about!

image :: with permission from haigh's chocolates
and, as always, this is not a sponsored post.
i just happen to be a haigh's chocolate addict.
there, i have confessed now. 

21 comments:

  1. Wow, it's a great story Virginia, very well written too. Totally enjoyed it. Happy birthday to Henrietta, welcome to adulthood! Have a wonderful time! Enjoy xx
    PS enjoy the chocolate frogs too (gosh they are so delicious!) x :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! Glad to know you are a convert too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely story. Happy birthday to Henrietta. Great weather to be eating fine chocolate indoors! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, indeed! It's bucketing isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Hooray! What a wonderful story Virginia. Oh I love it. We have many jokes about my birth as it was so fast--only thirty minutes of full labor!!--that my Mom coughed and I came flying out, etc. but none of them involve a bet with chocolates! I love it. In California, there is See's chocolates, which while frogless, creates the same kind of addiction in folks.

    Henrietta, wishing you a trés, trés Joyeuse Anniversaire!! Eighteen is such a spectacular age, one that merits dreaming as big as you are capable of and then going for it! Yes, already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Heather. Henrietta came and read out the wishing phrase with the most delicious accent, as mine was no good! Your lucky, lucky mother! That is how it should always be.

      Delete
    2. I bet you any amount of money that her accent is better than mine! ;) Those rolling r's are HARD!!!

      Delete
  4. What a great story! I do love Haigh's chocolate. Must remember to get some now. Congrats to you for winning the bet. And happy birthday to Henrietta. That's an exciting age to be entering. Have a lovely weekend.
    xAnastasia at decor is like butter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, another Haigh's admirer. I have some scorched almonds sitting on my desk, leftover from mother's day. One a day, so they last as long as possible, but the temptation is impossibly great.

      Delete
  5. Happy 18th birthday Henrietta! I very much enjoyed reading your story....definitely a unique family tradition to continue!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - we should do the same for when she herself has children!

      Delete
  6. Oh dear they have been my passion for 48 years!!!!!
    Happy 18th Henrietta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised by this Jules? Great taste, of course!

      Delete
  7. Great story and great chocolate!
    Happy 18th Henrietta!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your daughter! She has the same birthday as Stevie Nicks! Love the chocolate frog story. My sister is due any day now.... I was just saying to Hubs, wouldn't it be cool if R gave birth on May 26th, her child would have the same birthday as Stevie! (we are both huge Stevie fans).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how exciting! Fingers crossed that all goes well.

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous story & happy 18th to Miss H!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story! I enjoy reading about it and I am sure it would be such a cool story to tell to your grandkids. Happy 18th Birthday, Henrietta!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful story, and happy belated birthday to Henrietta - enjoy your frogs.

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...