Feb 8, 2012

Progress on the House on the Hill project...

 In the midst of so many exciting projects at the moment, 
but thought you may like to see how
the House on the Hill build is progressing. 


 The external materials are absolutely beautiful, 
and will give the home a mellow softness.
One of the owners grew up on a rural property in NSW 
with a traditional homestead,
so the essence of "Australian homestead", 
combined with a coastal character,
has been interpreted into what I term "modern coastal homestead".
(Giving them names, I find, makes my job much easier, 
because it helps to define the direction for the whole feel of the design.)
You can start to see how the V shaped floor plan,
based around a swimming pool & deck,
will create a fantastic sheltered area.
8 recycled ironbark timber posts will be used around the pool
as vertical exclamation marks.

 Love this detail. 
It's a frameless corner - where the glass sliding doors 
will peel back from the corner: no post.
You can see the steel beams required to make it happen.
Expensive detail - but oh so fabulous! 
 The view from the playroom,
framing such gorgeous trees. 
All the windows are a mixture of fixed glass with a bank of louvres,
which are brilliant for allowing in maximum air flow,
to capture the cooling breezes.
 Cobalt blue tiles are being laid with utmost precision.
 Timber being painted with one of my favourite products,
Aquaoil from Quantum Timber Finishes,
in the most luscious Onyx shade.
I use this oil, available in very usable colours,
on lots of projects, 
with great results.
It lets the grain of the timber show through,
while still nourishing & protecting it. 
I call it skin moisturiser for timber.
The tennis court was built first, 
while there was easy access 
to the rear of the property.
And this is the view from the kitchen window.
The bench will sit just below the frame.

So it's coming along nicely,
and every visit reveals something new. 
Such an exciting stage of the build!

Earlier posts about this project here and here.
Images: you will see some have a blue sky and some grey. Why?
That's Melbourne's changeable weather! 
Some of these were taken during my morning visit yesterday, 
and some in the afternoon site visit.

12 comments:

  1. Love the selection of materials. Will look forward to seeing further progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Virgina...I am seldom lost for words, but this is breathtaking. You are so talented and clever and the home really emits love and integrity. This is such the antithesis of a big F Off box! Thank you so much for sharing - it is going to be a wonderful home. Annie x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should say that, because yesterday when I was walking around it, I mentioned to the owner that it already felt like a happy home. (I thought he may laugh, but he agreed and said he felt the same way.) V x

      Delete
  3. It's going to be fabulous, Virginia. What an amazing project. Love the stone and the blue tile...stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour. I just found you on Heather's blog. Glad I stopped by. This beautiful house is quite the undertaking isn't it? I am going to browse your other posts for a while now. It seems you and I enjoy *glamorous* things ;-) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! Anybody who loves Heather is a friend of mine! And oh, yes, I go weak at the knees for glamorous things...glad you do too! V x

      Delete
  5. Hi V! This looks so great. L.O.V.E the 'no post' corner, a very beautiful detail! The selections look perfectly suited to this 'modern coastal homestead'. Will enjoy going back and reading your other links to this project.
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow. I get to enjoy your creativity every day here on the blog but love to think that you are building this incredibly beautiful home that will last and last. The owners must be so thrilled with how it is coming along. I love every single thing about it--the warmth of the materials (especially the timber), the glass corner, the gorgeous pool that is protected inside (I never understand that here in Provence, the pools are always exposed to the wind and how pretty the reflections will be with that great blue tile). Like I said: everything! :) You know how much I appreciate when you share your projects--thank you!

    So proud of my talented friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owners are lots of fun - and they have fabulous taste too - so I am really enjoying this project. I always see my job as tempting people just outside their comfort zones, so that the design will last in time, and they are wags when I do! Yes, it is a house built to last! The brief was to create a home which is very welcoming, which reflects their personalities actually - and they are constantly entertaining, so it needed to feel like "home" to lots of people. Thank you for your humbling words Heather! V x

      Delete
  7. GOSH I'd love to be building this place - amazing project Virginia, love to see your work (as well as everything else on your blog sweets :O)
    Have a fantastic day,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented...this is simply amazing! I'm quite inspired now...

    x
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a joy it it is working with clients with taste.
    it makes life easy.

    looks great.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...