Feb 28, 2012

How can something so beautiful be so useful? DIY Eucalyptus cleaner.

William Morris famously said
"Have nothing in your houses 
that you do not know to be useful
or believe to be beautiful"
in a lecture in 1880.
And I rather suspect he wasn't talking about the eucalyptus tree.
But he could have been. 
Because it is both useful & beautiful.
I use the timber from it a lot in my building designs.
This is spotted gum, 
used as a facade cladding on the House with the Stripes.
And I specified it for the curved boardwalk entry path too.
The flowers & gum nuts are superb for arranging, 
and the leaves are rather super-de-dooper too. 
Just ask koalas about that. 
It's the reason they are so smiley & happy with the world.

But I recently discovered the oil from this fabulous plant
makes the absolutely best stainless steel & all purpose cleaner ever. 
Here's the fab recipe to make it yourself:
And the scent is amazing!
Now I know why the koalas are so smiley!

But seriously, do try it. 
It works better than anything I have ever tried, 
bought or home-made.

all images :: blue fruit
(top image taken at Portsea)
recipe from here

9 comments:

  1. Stunning Portsea view....you would never get sick of that would you?! And I love the spotted gum.
    I use eucalyptus oil a lot in cleaning too, but I will make this recipe. Its probably better to get the quantities right, rather than throwing a bit of this and that in a bucket to wash the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law is a naturopath and has had us using this too - I agree that it works better than most commercial cleaners. I also LOVE the smell. Virginia - that boardwalk is fabulous! I love everything about it - it's a piece of art. Annie x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds fantastic! Now I will just have to figure out how to get the oil! :) And like Annie, I love your boardwalk--your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

    Heading back to France tomorrow night. I have been so spoiled here, Virginia!
    Bisous,
    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. Oh - that trip went so fast! Safe travel home, and I bet there will be a big welcome for you when you get home too. If you can't find eucalyptus oil in Provence, let me know and I will send you some.

      Delete
  4. Love that shot of Sorrento! I use spotted gum for cladding, decking and floors in just about every job - love it - thankfully so do the clients! That curved decking is very clever!
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHH I live in the wrong place for sure - HOW amazing that these thing just grow there and the views. We have roses and tulips ;O)
    Axxx
    PS: Tagged you for a 'blogging tag game' look at my blog and I hope you'll like to play along :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely blog post. I use eucalyptus all the time for cleaning x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love those flowers and nuts ... so decorative! And I must try that cleaner ... thanks for sharing Virginia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Virginia, we have lots of eucalipthus trees here, love its color.
    I specified it for home theather pannels, the result is fantastic.
    I must try this eucalypthus cleaner, the scent I already know.
    Wish you a great week.
    Tereza

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...