Jan 22, 2012

Baking: Lavender Butter Cake



The aroma of freshly baked butter cake is incredible.
But combine that with the scent of lavender, 
and the aroma pleasure factor goes off the scale.


You can use fresh lavender florets,
if you are lucky enough to have it growing in your garden, 
but you can also use the dried culinary lavender.


 I used fresh lavender, 
from an Alba (or white) variety - which is growing in my garden.
The taste from this variety is very gentle.


I adore lavender in any form!
Heather from the totally captivating blog Lost in Arles
(which chronicles her observations 
living in an ancient French Provincial town
full of beauty & history),
sent me this gorgeous linen & jute bag for Christmas.
It is stuffed with the most 
scintillating French lavender.
Now the little bag is no longer Lost in Arles,
but has been Found in Melbourne,
and sits on my desk scenting the room beautifully.


So in honour of her lovely present, 
I was inspired to experiment with a Lavender Cake recipe.
Moist with butter, tangy with yoghurt,
flecked with little florets of lavender,
and topped with a coconut icing,
it made the perfect afternoon tea.


The little Art Deco chrome teapot 
came from the New Zealand town of Napier,
found in a quirky op shop,
on our holiday last month.
(More on that later.)
One word of warning on the cake though:
this didn't last the hour. 
The aroma made the family appear out of nowhere, 
and the buttery, lavender taste made them go back for seconds.
Definitely a recipe to keep! 

images: blue fruit
Teacup is a 1950s Paragon bone china yellow rose pattern;
the tray is from the 1930s, in Art Deco style of embossed mirror 
and was found in a $2 pile in a vintage shop closing down.

10 comments:

  1. Marsha @ Splenderosa22/1/12 12:17 PM

    OMG, your photography is stunning. Forgeddabout the cake!
    xx's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Marsha you are fabulous! That just made my day! V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eternalicons22/1/12 4:23 PM

    This looks absolutely delicious. Your styling is gorgeous too, I think having tea and cake on such beautiful china makes it an 'occasion'. I've been collecting old china for years but never use it. I must dust it off and have a go at this recipe!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hunguponretro22/1/12 4:44 PM

    This cake looks DEVINE and yes, glamourous to boot!
    Love the cup, saucer and matching side plate.
    Have just discovered your wonderful blog. I hope to pop back in often! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hope you do try it - was very yummy. And yes, beautiful china makes tea taste better, I think. How wonderful that you have a collection - I bet its gorgeous.  V x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hung up on retro - what a great name! Thank you and welcome to Glamour Drops. V x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Have a beautiful week ahead, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm!! Looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The icing recipe includes dessicated coconut, but it looks so smooth. How does that happen? This is all such a beautiful feast for the senses. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Constance - laughingly, I can only put that down to my dodgy photography! The coconut which I use is rather fine - not the large variety, and when mixed in with the other ingredients, it is actually very moist and smooth. I guess it's not visible because it is mixed into the icing, rather than being sprinkled on top.

      Delete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...