Oct 11, 2011

Flowers: the formidable talent of Sarah Winward

 
  If you have been reading for a while,
you will know that I have an, erm, shall we say obsession 
with flowers & foliage & gardens,
and that I find constant inspiration for my design work from their beauty.
And you will also have noticed that the floral designer 
whose work I most often feature is Sarah Winward,
from Honey of a Thousand Flowers, 
on the other side of the world to me:
in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The blogging world is a fabulous place, 
and through it I met Sarah. 
We have been emailing each other
about design, 
and how other people perceive a designer's work.
Which is often quite different to the way a designer expects.
Who would guess that a florist from Utah 
and an interior designer from Melbourne 
would share a love of mixing colour, texture & form in such a similar way? 
For Sarah the tools are flowers, for me the tools are building elements.
So it was very exciting when she told me she was coming to Australia.
And last week we got to meet in person,
at Mario's on Fitzroy St,
while Sarah and her husband were in Melbourne.
And she is every bit as spontaneous and thoughtful 
as her flower arrangements are. 
(Can't believe I didn't even think to take a photo!
Too busy talking...
But this is Sarah in her newly-opened shop, Honey of a Thousand Flowers, 
which she and her husband designed & built.
As you do.)
With lights made by Sarah & David from salvaged ceiling fans.
The combinations of colours & textures are masterfully 
put together to create arrangements 
which have a controlled wildness
about them, 
as if they have been freshly gathered from the garden outside.
Absolutely beautiful!
No wonder I am so smitten with her work!

How about you?

All images: Sarah Winward
Salt Lake City, Utah.




17 comments:

  1. That would HAVE to be a great job!!! Her work is amazing and the shop is equally amazing.
    Thanks for sharing! Brightened my day.
    Sar x
    Ps I'm hosting my very first giveaway at Squeezed Daily. Make sure you enter, and tell your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I reckon it would be a fun job too Sarah. All those lovely flowers to work with! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgica Pond11/10/11 12:22 PM

    Yes absolutely smitten. Beautifully and artfully created arrangements with an easy, relaxed structure which belies the skill required to create them. First image my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello virginia

    Ever shot of all her work is beautiful and it has so much thought gone into it - very apparent not just the colour but the texture too.

    thank you so showing me something like this - so pretty and interesting

    x
    loulou

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun and exciting is it to meet someone you have been corresponding for a while? Oh, and I love Sarah's flower arrangements. All her flower arrangements may look spontaneous but it takes someone really talented to put a variety of flowers with different textures and make it look artful and effortless. And I think she achieved that look in all her flower arrangements. I also like how she uses a unique combination of flowers, succulents and fruits together. Very refreshing!

    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful shop! The flowers are stunning! Have a wonderful day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. House of Tulips12/10/11 12:41 AM

    Beautiful.

    Have an exquisite day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing artist she is!  Her flower arrangements are divine as is her gorgeous little shop.
    Kel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes so true Mel. They look so easy but they sure are not! As always, the simplest looking things are the hardest to do. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything is up for grabs, I think, in her arrangements! Fruit, seeds, weeds. She sees beauty in the everyday stuff that we sometimes take for granted. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Kellie. Yes, I would LOVE to visit her shop one day. But for now, the photos will suffice. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello House of Tulips and welcome to Glamour Drops! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Artist is the perfect adjective Kellie! She truly is that. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you were fortunate enough to meet!  Sarah seems to paint with flowers.
    Her work is stunning and I love that shop.  Will she open one in my village?
    I would be there daily.  Her work reminds me of my travels to Japan. It has an organic feel and a restraint.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a wee bit obsessed with the beauty of flowers and branches and leaves....their form, texture and colour can transform an interior.  Sarah's work is beautifully artful.  Thanks for introducing her to your readers!  ~ C.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had so much fun meeting with you, I love this little-big world of the internet we live in, and the connections that it gives us.
    Thank you for all of the kind words, its fun to have encouragement from the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sarah! My absolute pleasure. Talent should be celebrated, so I am very happy to feature your work. And yep, it suddenly seems like a much smaller world, which is nice. V xo

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...