May 6, 2011

Glamourous Champagne Coupes for a Wonderful Weekend...

Utterly enamored with Champagne saucers.
Yes, I know flutes are more practical and the tingling bubbles last longer,
but who can actually resist the romance of a 
voluptuous Champagne coupe?
All those pearlescent bubbles of gorgeousness
just belong in something glamorous.
I was thrilled to see that Katie, 
also shares my love of saucers.
But then, with a chocolate cake that looks that good, 
even a plastic glass would look romantic!
The Champagne saucer has its origins in England, 
and first appeared in 1663. 
{Well before the famous Marie Antoinette was around, 
so there goes that rather lovely theory of the shape!}
The Victorians were a bit keen on the idea of
drinking Champagne in coupe glasses.
But it didn't become hugely popular until the 1930s,
in the post~prohibition era. 
At that time, Champagne was much sweeter
than the dry varieties we prefer today, 
 which lose their bubbles more quickly.
So the larger surface area wasn't quite so much of an issue.
New York's Stork Club would often send a complimentary
coupe of Champagne to its guests, 
enhancing the glamourous reputation of the drink.  
The saucer remained a popular Champagne shape 
right through the 1960s and 70s,
often used for these kinds of spectacular fountains at weddings.

It's not so easy to find the vintage ones in a full set,
as one of the downsides of the top~heavy design 
is an ability to tip over more easily than the flutes.
These ones are from the 1950s. 
Gold rimmed Champagne saucers!
I think that tops my list!
I was lucky enough to recently find this lovely crystal coupe,
with etched grape leaves, from the 1950s,
in a perfect set of 6.
Joy oh joy!
Crystal coupes, because of their little imperfections,
hold onto the crisp bubbles longer than glass coupes,
because the bubbles "grab" onto a rough surface.
A gentle curve at the top also helps to "grab" the bubbles.
But whatever their beautiful shape, 
here's to the glamour of a gorgeous Champagne coupe,
and here's to a wonderful weekend
wherever you may be.
Let's toast to that! 


19 comments:

  1. I am green with envy over your grape leaf coupe score....cheers to a great weekend...k

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your sweet comment :)
    love all these beautiful photos.

    xo
    Erin

    pinkandpolos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! thanks so much for commenting on my silly little blog! I'm loving the thought of champagne right now. I was some coupes on the Anthrapologie website today that i naughtily added to my cart! they are super sonic nice! I shall be your latest follower, me thinks!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful blog you have, am following :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted a champagne fountain, they're fabulous.

    Just discovered your blog and will be following from now on - would love if you popped by mine and followed me too!

    Andrea x
    andreareh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with you..though flutes are far more practical nothing beats the glamour of the champagne coupe..such a delicious post..it is 3:00p.m. in delhi and all i can think of is champagne!! thankyou virginia for your lovely comment about my daughter's room on the blog..made my day!! a happy weekend to you! xx meenal

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can think about now is chocolate cake and champagne! I always feel much more glamorous drinking champagne from a coupe - your grape leaf ones are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Querida Virginia brindo a tu salud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog! I have been wanting champagne coupes for awhile now!

    http://www.heelsink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some fabulous vintage champagne cups like this. I love them. I am going to use them tomorrow for some Moet on Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's be couped up and hit the sauce! I love all the history and pictures and fun with bubbles!! XO, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. No excuse needed to celebrate with your lovely vintage coupes. I remember my parents having some exactly like this - they were ever so glamorous! (The coupes that is, not my parents!)
    Amanda
    P.S just love those beautiful roses on your desk this week. I love to have something pretty on mine too. Work seems ever so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gorgeous examples and I also love to use the coupe to serve a decadent ice cream with raspberries and Chamborg.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! Had everything, glamour, useful information to use at a dinner parties and great images. Thank you.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so agree...the coupe is wonderful and we do adore our Champagne!

    I was thinking this recently whilst watching Madmen.....must get some now!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so much better than the flutes - easier to hold, sexier to sip from and you don't get that annoying whack to the bridge of the nose when you're trying to get the last inch or so of Dom....

    ReplyDelete
  17. This a such a beautiful post, and very inspiring. I think I must have a glass of champagne in a beautiful crystal coupe next...who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coupes! Always have since the photo of Marilyn leaning over Hollywood with one in hand. I find it so much more elegant even though here in France--it's not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this post... and thanks for your lovely comments on my lion and black door. C x

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...