May 2, 2011

The Edginess of Pink! Really? Pink Edgy? Yes, truly!


Colour is something that enjoys being unpredictable.
Just when you think that pink 
is pretty, sweet and dainty,
along comes a different use of it to 
blow that reputation out of the water.


In this dining room by Architects Eat, 
magenta pink dining chairs provide
a grain of gritty edge.
  It's almost a raw energy,
bouncing off the other neutrals in the space.


"Edgy" is defined as 
"having an intense or sharp quality".
And these look at me pink flowers,
in a witty arrangement by Saipua,
 sure have a sharp intensity against the somber dark leaves.
They scream out life and mercurial vibrancy.


In the new Blackman Art Hotel,
any other colour would have been quiet in this bedroom.
But the hot pink, mixed with orange and purple,
brings an electric blast of energy, 
providing the gritty edge to an 
otherwise elegantly subdued palette.


For pink to be edgy, 
it seems that it needs to be surrounded by 
a lot of dark, moody, sultry colours,
coarse, rustic textures,
and fairly dramatic lighting. 
This room has all of those things.


Apart from looking delicious, 
this image of Strawberry & Red Wine Macarons
by the inimitable Desserts for Breakfast,
ticks all of the edgy pink rules boxes.


Moody colour background? Tick.
Rustic texture? Tick.
Dramatic lighting? Tick.
Yep, it's a great example of how saturated, 
almost verging~on~vermilion pink,
can be gritty, edgy and unexpected.

Images 1: Vogue Russia;
2: Villapark House by Architects Eat;
3: Flowers by Saipua;
4: The Blackman Art Hotel;
5: house for sale at 39 Pakington St, St Kilda via realestate.com.au;
6/7: Strawberry & Red Wine Macarons by Desserts for Breakfast.

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I adore bright, hot, pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous post- I love the hot pink that you have show cased here- a great collection of images- feel utterly inspired. PS In answer to your question as to why we're moving back to Sydney...well we have done a lot of renovations to our house up on the central coast and it has added enough value for us to re-enter the sydney market which we never thought we would be able to do. Plus the lure of family & friends and me being able to get back into my interior design career which I have really missed. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a stunning shade of pink..edgy not girly..have a lovely new week Virginia..xx meenal

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my kind of think pinking, as long as it's not Barbie sweetie pink then I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink and grey works well together, I like it.
    Your posts always inspire me.
    Wish you a happy week.
    Hugs
    Tereza

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never did think
    That i would see pink
    In this lovely blog
    or any other link.

    Please excuse me
    my poetry does stink.



    LOVE the 'Architects Eat' image ..and I am so desperate to stay at the Blackman (or any of the other ones too) .. it's next on my Melbourne hotel list. Great post .. yet again!!! .. Virginia (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. The strawberry and redvine macrones are bloody sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it! pink is about to surpass yellow as my new favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pink, and this post has accelerated my love even more! In fact, I'm working on a new pink skirt and even more happy about my colour choice. :) That first photo is amazing and the flowers are beautiful! ... and I'm losing my mind over the Strawberry & Red Wine Macaron... :)

    xo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for such a pick-me-up post! LOVE the magenta dining chairs and the Blackman's bedhead and cushions. Lovely pics thanks x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loooove the first photo. That is so rad. So happy I just stumbled on your blog! It is so original and fantastic. I really love what you cover!

    We are following you now!! Hope you'lll visit us sometime. ;)

    I Live For It

    Xx. Jewls and Liza

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well since my blog is just pink from edge to edge, you know I am loving this! Didn't realize I was so dirty, gritty and edgy, but I LOVE it!! :) I am sorry for being so absent lately, good to hear from you and I thank you as always for stopping by. Cheers to a good week ;) XO, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh,LA LA!!!...........this is just SO very nice and absolutely gorgeous taste post:-)*

    Like the first image very much: it means alot to mee!Because I try always sincerely express themselves everywhere!
    This is so cute!!!

    Thank you for you kindnests words by me:-)))*

    With Love,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know that I ALWAYS say this but I love the freedom of your vision--quite a difference from uptight France!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous pinks...love the dining chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there! i just came across your blog and loved it! it's spectacular! love your great style, check out my blog and follow if you like it, i promise to do the same!
    www.fullclosetbutnothingtowear.blogspot.com
    kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE me some pink. Such an underestimated color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post about pink......
    just love it - know what I mean..
    Wink wink!!
    KG x

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...