May 9, 2011

Can I just have the Front Door Keys Now, thanks?

Oh but I love a sweepingly curvy staircase!
This staircase is a beauty, 
and is the centrepiece of a most extraordinary
Modernist house for sale at one 
of Melbourne's beachside suburbs, Black Rock.
Let's have a look at the exterior first, 
to get a sense of the International Style
influence of this stunning house. 
Located on the esplanade, 
Southern Sands was designed by husband and wife
architectural team of Holgar + Holgar, 
who arrived in Australia 
from post~war Poland in the 1950s.
Helen Holgar attended university in Rome first, 
then gained her architectural degree in London, 
{where she met her husband}.
Unable to return to Poland with its communist rule, 
they migrated to Melbourne, 
where they formed their own practice.

The balustrade on the balcony has a touch of 
Oscar Niemeyer's
sensual concave columns about it.  
Nimeyer's Supreme Court building in Brasilia
explored the use of the classical column in a more 
organic form, to create sweeping curvaceous lines.
In 1967, Holgar + Holgar designed "Naliandrah"
another concrete house with International Style influences,
the model of which is held by Museum Victoria.
Complete with arches, sun screens, flat roof,
and a large expanse of white, 
I can imagine the Tracy family living here. 
Room for the Thunderbird helicopter on the roof, Parker?
Here is the real Thunderbirds home, 
and you just know that this was a favourite show of my childhood! 
But back to our Holgar + Holgar team. 
This is another of their glamour pads, 
also in Melbourne, from the 1960s.
Now honestly, this could be a shoot from a house today.
{Well, ok, probably not the peach paint.}
I would SO live here.
And in our Black Rock house, 
I think this may possibly just be my dream retro kitchen. 
Moroccan floor tiles, curvy island bench thing,
bronze kickboards, sprayed concrete ceiling, white cupboards.
And have a look at that custom light fitting.
Chandelier? Sculpture? Eccentric? Oh yes, all of these! 
And for next time James Bond pops in, 
we could serve his Martini at 
this bronze and black leather bar.
Loving the yellow silk curtains and the gold wallpaper too.
 Gold taps, gold towel rail, 
more delicious arches and those amazing Moroccan tiles. 
I am in love, love, love. 
And that staircase just keeps swirling voluptuously
through the centre of the house, 
bringing its organic beauty to bear on every space it touches.
Just as well there is a pool, because 
every glamour pad needs one, 
to cool down the heels of guests who are swooning.
Swooning?
Yes, I think that may just be me swooning.
Because I think this is one of 
the most exciting and dynamic 
Modernist houses on the market. 
So I would love to live here.
How about you?

Images & agent details: JP Dixon
Supreme Court, photograph by Oliver Ross
Architectural Model, Museum Victoria

Property address: 344 Beach Rd, Black Rock, Melbourne

9 comments:

  1. So gorgeous - I can just feel that home. Soooo love it too, especially that light fitting thingie in the kitchen - probably casts a dreadful shadow but who cares?! Fab pad for getting those Champagne coupes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dadananadanananana (that's meant to be the theme music from the thunderbirds).

    This house is A.mazing. I think they may have done one near our old house in Heidelberg. It was similar with the curvey concrete exterior bits.

    I would 'swoon' when visiting you in this house - but this house is not for me. To own this would be an honour and it would need to be kept in it's original state. I would need to de-gloss it which would ruin it. So, get a tatts ticket and I'll visit with canapes when you are all settled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you provided us with those pool shots to cool down from that HOT property!! Amazing, right down to the sensual, organic concave, all the rave columns! LOVE it :) XO, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Style attic above...the house is smocking hot...!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the lines but the interiors? Just can't! But, as always, I appreciate your pushing me to think outside the (18th century) box! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sweetie, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog - I just checked out Lyn Gardner's store, and I have just about fainted. I ADORE it - and wish I lived down under:) Thanks for the hint - I am totally in awe.
    Have a great week.
    A xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm it's given me food for thought! It's not the kind of house I usually find appealing but I really like this house! You're right, it's very James Bond-esque! The Morrocan tiles and that staircase are my favourite elements but I would have to change the sprayed concrete ceiling and add some more colour in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I be your neighbour, (me) like the house too ;))))

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...