Dec 20, 2010

Ah! The romance of 20 years....

Romance can be a delicious distraction 
from the day to day craziness of everyday life. 

Last month, as I casually 
asked my husband where he would like to 
spend our upcoming 20th wedding anniversary dinner,
he replied "the Boathouse".  

"But that is in New York City", 
I replied. 

"Exactly," he smoothly responded. 

So, as spontaneously as that, I didn't book the 
usual Melbourne restaurant, 
but began researching a completely unexpected,
deliriously decadent, week in New York in December, 
without the children....
Why not travel half way around the world for lunch?

We did, indeed, have lunch at the 
fabulous Boathouse in Central Park, 
 all dressed up for Christmas with poinsettias on the tables...
And a Christmas Tree in a row-boat, 
frozen in time, in the lake outside.
As we left our lovely romantic lunch, 
and strolled around to the other side of the lake to 
pinch ourselves that we really had done 
this crazy thing, a beaming couple stopped to ask 
if I would take their picture because he had just proposed.

I told them we had just popped over to New York to 
celebrate 20 years of marriage, 
and that we wished them much happiness. 

"What's the secret?", the beaming fiancee asked my husband, 
looking for a man-to-man ode of wisdom. 

"Whatever her question, 
the answer is always yes!", he confided. 

So that's how he does it! 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Virginia! What a treat! What a husband! NY is one of my favorite cities and my husband's too, and yet we have never been there together!
    That will have to change soon.

    How fun that you were asked to take a picture of the beaming couple.

    Thank you for your nice comment about my store. The boots are hopping!

    oxox, Mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, what a touching post! Love this, I adore the Boathouse, and am so glad you got to celebrate 20 years there. XX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a touching story. So Romance is not dead after all! I am so happy to hear such a perfect story. And what is the odds for you meeting the soon to bee's?! That toped it all :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a bloke! And yes, nice to know he follows the same rule that my MOTH does for a happy life - just say yes to everything! Congrats on your 20 years of fun & romance.
    Millie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, i so adored reading this post Virginia! You're so lucky-your hubby is a gem indeed and a wise hubby too:-) Twenty years-that's awesome! Congrats to you both! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Virginia,

    I just got goose bumps reading this. I was so taken back by the actual journey there, I wasn't expecting that! You so deserved it, you have much to celebrate and thank you for sharing this. I LOVE the engaged couple twist :D Awesomeness all the way around....the world that is! XOXO MERRY CHRISTMAS! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a true adventure! Not to mention romantic as well! Best wishes on your anniversary and have a lovely Christmas! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how romantic- loved reading this and congratulations on 20 years!!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

Just a quick note: this is about a conversation - it's not a place to advertise. So please do not include self-promotion as your comment will not be published.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...